Global Cognac Shipments Rise 8.2% Over Past 12 Months.
Cognac Shipments Hit Another New Record.
Cognac Shipments Were 205.9 Million Bottles From August 2017 to July 2018.
The Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) announced that Cognac sales rose to yet another record during the 12 month period August 2017 to July 2018. Shipments of Cognac were up 8.2% from the prior comparable 12 month period. Approximately 205.98 million bottles of Cognac, valued at 3.162 billion Euros, were shipped from August 2017 to July 2018, reflecting a 5.4% increase in value over the prior comparable 12 month period.
During the calendar year of January 1, 2016 to December 2016, the BNIC reported sales of approximately 179.1 million bottles of cognac.
During the calendar year of January 1, 2017 to December 2017, the BNIC reported sales of approximately 197.4 million bottles of cognac.
At the current pace, Cognac shipments will surpass 200 million bottles for the first time ever in the calendar year of 2018.
Cognac Shipments from August 2017 to July 2018
Here are the BNIC sales numbers for the period August 2017 to July 2018:
North American shipments (U.S. Canada and Mexico) during the 12 month period August 2017 – July 2018 were 89.8 million bottles (86.5 million bottles in the United States) or 43.6% of total Cognac shipments, led by strong V.S. Cognac sales.
Cognac Sales by Geography during the 12 month period from August 2017 to July 2018
According to the BNIC, ninety-eight percent of Cognac sales during the period August 2017 to July 2018 were exports.
The top ten countries for cognac shipments were:
United States 86.5 million bottles, Singapore 26.6 million bottles, China 26.2 million bottles, United Kingdom 10.8 million bottles, Germany 4.8 million bottles, France 4.3 million bottles ,Latvia 3.8 million bottles, Hong Kong 3,8 million bottles, South Africa 3.1 million bottles and the Netherlands 3.1 million bottles.
The Far East was the region that led in shipment and revenue growth turning in double digit percentage increases for both:
- North America – 89.8 million bottles (+9.4%) +0.2% in revenues.
- Far East – 60.9 million bottles (+13.5%) +12.4% in revenues.
- Europe – 41.3 million bottles (-2.0%)+3.0% in revenues.
- Rest of World – 13.9 million bottles (+12.2%) +5.3% in revenues.
Cognac Sales By Age Designation during the period August 2017 to July 2018
- Very Special (V.S.) 101.2 million bottles (+6%) +4.1% in revenues. Cognac rated V.S. was approximately 50% of volume of all Cognac shipments.
- Very Superior Old Pale (V.S.O.P.) 80.2 million bottles (+ 10%) + 2.1% in revenues. Cognac rated V.S.O.P. was approximately 40% of the volume of all Cognac shipments.
- Extra Old (X.O.) 24.5 million bottles (+ 12.4%)+10.3% in revenus. Cognac rated XO was approximately 10% of the volume of all Cognac shipments.
Hennessy and Rémy Martin Cognac Sales 1H 2018
The BNIC figures from August 2017- July 2018 roughly track the first half 2018 results from Rémy Martin and Hennessy that reported sales increases of 11% and 8%, respectively. Hennessy reported shipping 90.8 million bottles of cognac in the first half of 2018.
Click to shop Cognac.com.
Cognac sales numbers: BNIC
About the BNIC: It is a trade association, founded in 1946 representing growers, producers, and merchants from the Cognac Appellation region. To learn more visit http://www.cognac.fr/cognac/