Cognac Sales Volume Growth Reported Across All Designations
The Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) announced today that Cognac sales rose to record levels during the year August 1, 2016- July 31, 2017. Sales of Cognac were up 10.0% in volume and 15.2% in value from the prior comparable year. Approximately 190.2 million bottles of cognac, valued at 3.46 billion Euros, were sold from August 1, 2016- July 31, 2017.
During the calendar year of January 1, 2016 to December 2016, the BNIC reported sales of approximately 179.1 million bottles of cognac.
U.S. sales during the year August 1, 2016- July 31, 2017 were 78.7 million bottles or over 41% of total cognac sales.
Hennessy, Martell, Rémy Martin Report Strong Sales Increases During 2016-2017
Earlier this year, LVMH, owner of Hennessy, released its first quarter revenues and noted that sales of Hennessy cognacs rose 21% with the bulk of the sales growth coming from Hennessy V.S. As a result of such sales growth, Hennessy warned that there may be inventory shortages of Hennessy V.S. later in 2017. Martell reported double digit sales growth in the United States in the first quarter of 2017. Rémy Cointreau reported a twenty percent increase in its Rémy Martin Cognac sales in the first quarter of 2017.
Here are the BNIC sales numbers for the period August 1, 2016 – July 31, 2017:
Cognac Sales by Geography during the calendar year 2016 and from the 12 month Period from August 1 2016 to July 31 2017
Ninety-eight percent of cognac sales during the year August 1, 2016- July 31, 2017 were exports.
- 2016 North America* – 82.1 million bottles (+9.3% in volume; +13.5% in value)
- 2016 Far East – 53.7 million bottles (10.6% in volume; +19.4% in value) bottles
- 2016 Europe – 39.4 million bottles (+1% in volume; +8.1% in value)
- 2016 Rest of World – 12.3 million bottles (+14.6% in volume; +21.6 in value)
Cognac sales in the United Kingdom and Germany (+ 3.6 % and + 22.2 % in volume, respectively) contributed to the European sales growth as well has a 73.2% increase in Russian/Baltic country sales.
Cognac Sales By Type during the year August 1, 2016 to July 31 2017
- Very Special (VS) +9.6% in volume; +15.0% in value. Cognac rated VS was approximately 55% of all cognac shipments.
- Very Superior Old Pale (VSOP) + 7.4% in volume; +9% in value. Cognac rated VSOP was approximately 38% of all cognac shipments.
- 2016 Extra Old (XO) +24.2.7% in volume; + 23.2% in value. Cognac rated XO was approximately 11% of all cognac shipments.
The BNIC noted previously that the record cognac sales in 2016 accounted for more than 20% of total French exports of wine and spirits.
* The United States accounted for 78.7 million of the bottles of cognac sold in North America during the year August 1, 2016 – July 31 2017.
Click here to see a cognac sales infographic prepared by the BNIC
Cognac sales numbers: BNIC
About the BNIC: It is a trade association, founded in 1946 representing growers, producers, and merchants from the Cognac Appellation region. To learn more visit http://www.cognac.fr/cognac/