Cognac Sales Volume Growth Reported Across All Designations
The Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) announced that Cognac sales rose to record levels during 2018. Sales of Cognac were up 5.2% in volume and 0.7% in value from the record year of 2017. Approximately 204.2 million bottles of cognac, valued at 3.21 billion Euros, were sold in 2018.
It was the second year in a row that cognac shipments topped 200 million bottles.
For the fourth consecutive year, Cognac exports grew in 2018, reaching record numbers in both volume and value. The US continues to be Cognac’s largest market, with 87.4 million bottles exported in 2018. Click image to expand. pic.twitter.com/NY2LtmBgy3
— CognacUSA (@CognacUSA) January 16, 2019
During the calendar year of 2016, the BNIC reported sales of approximately 179.1 million bottles of cognac and approximately 200.8 million bottles in 2017.
U.S. sales during 2018 were 87.4 million bottles or approximately 43% of total cognac sales.
Here are the BNIC sales numbers for 2018:
Cognac Sales by Geography during the calendar year 2018
Ninety-eight percent of cognac sales during the year were exports.
- 2018 North America – 90.4 million bottles
- 2018 Far East – 60.1 million bottles, with Singapore and China accounting for 27.2 and 24.2 million bottles, respectively
- 2018 Europe – 39.4 million bottles, with France accounting for just 4.6 million bottles
- 2018 Rest of World – 14.3 million bottles
Cognac Sales By Type during 2018
- Very Special (VS). Cognac rated VS was approximately 49.4% of all cognac shipments.
- Very Superior Old Pale (VSOP). Cognac rated VSOP was approximately 39.1% of all cognac shipments.
- Extra Old (XO). Cognac rated XO was approximately 11.5% of all cognac shipments.
Cognac sales numbers: BNIC
About the BNIC: It is a trade association, founded in 1946 representing growers, producers, and merchants from the Cognac Appellation region. To learn more visit http://www.cognac.fr/cognac/