Cognac Shipments Were Nearly 200 Million Bottles From February 2017 to January 2018.
X.O. Cognac shipments scored the largest increase of all aging designations.
The Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) announced that Cognac shipments rose to yet another record during the year February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018. Shipments of Cognac were up 7.9% from the prior comparable 12 month period (which were up 7.8% from the year before). Approximately 197.1 million bottles of Cognac, valued at 3.131 billion Euros, were shipped from February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018.
During the calendar year of January 1, 2016 to December 2016, the BNIC reported sales of approximately 179.1 million bottles of cognac.
North American shipments (U.S. Canada and Mexico) during the 12 month period February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018 were 85.2 million bottles or over 43% of total Cognac shipments.
Hennessy, Martell & Rémy Martin Reported Strong Sales Increases During 2017
Last year, when LVMH, owner of Hennessy, released its first quarter revenues they noted sales of Hennessy Cognacs rose 21% with the bulk of the sales growth coming from Hennessy V.S. As a result of such robust sales growth, Hennessy warned that there might be inventory shortages of Hennessy V.S. later that year. Many regions in the United States reported shortages in the second half of 2017, but Hennessy V.S. remained available in most parts of the country.
Martell and Rémy Cointreau also reported double digit Cognac sales growth during 2017.
Here is a chart showing the top selling Cognac brands in 2016:
We will publish 2017 figures when they become available.
Here are the BNIC sales numbers for the period February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018:
Cognac Sales by Geography during the 12 month period from February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018
Approximately ninety-eight percent of cognac sales during the year February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018 were exports.
While North American was the clear leader in volume of Cognac bottles shipped, the value of shipments to the Far East were 94% of those shipped to North American despite shipments to the Far East being just 67% of those shipped to North America.
- North America – 85.2 million bottles (+6.6%) worth 1.232 billion Euro.
- Far East – 57.1 million bottles (+10.3%) worth 1.158 billion Euro.
- Europe – 41.9 million bottles (+6.0%) worth 481.8 million Euro.
- Rest of World – 12.9 million bottles (+11%) worth 258.2 million Euro.
Cognac Sales By Age Designation during the year February 1, 2017- January 31, 2018
- Very Special (V.S.) 98.1 million bottles (+6.0%) worth 1.073 billion Euro. Cognac rated V.S. was approximately 50% of volume of all Cognac shipments.
- Very Superior Old Pale (V.S.O.P.) 76.6 million bottles (+ 8.1%) worth 1.062 billion Euro. Cognac rated V.S.O.P. was approximately 34% of the value of all Cognac shipments.
- Extra Old (X.O.) 22.4 million bottles (+ 15.5%) worth 995.5 million Euro. Cognac rated XO was approximately 31% of the value of all Cognac shipments.
Click here to see a cognac sales infographic prepared by the BNIC
Cognac sales numbers: BNIC
About the BNIC: It is a trade association, founded in 1946 representing growers, producers, and merchants from the Cognac Appellation region. To learn more visit http://www.cognac.fr/cognac/